BITTER CREEK (HALL COUNTY)
BITTER CREEK (Hall County). The East and West forks of Bitter Creek rise in southern Donley County and flow southwest for ten miles before converging a mile north of State Highway 256 in northwestern Hall County (at 34°43' N, 100°51' W). Bitter Creek runs southwest for six miles to its mouth on the Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River, in northwestern Hall County (at 34°37' N, 100°53' W). It traverses an area of moderately steep slopes with locally high relief and a surface of silt loam that supports mesquite and grasses. The creek was probably named for the saline springs downstream. The land upstream was once part of the JA Ranch horse pasture; this area was later developed as the Bitter Creek Ranch by R. G. Welch of California; in 1959 it became the property of Lawrence R. Hagey, Amarillo businessman and civic leader.
Virginia Browder, Donley County: Land O' Promise (Wichita Falls, Texas: Nortex, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BITTER CREEK (HALL COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbbec), accessed March 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.