BLACK FORK CREEK
BLACK FORK CREEK. Black Fork Creek rises in southeast Tyler in central Smith County (at 32°19' N, 95°16' W) and runs northwest through Tyler and the surrounding countryside for fourteen miles to its mouth on Prairie Creek, two miles southeast of New Harmony (at 32°24' N, 95°26' W). Upstream, it traverses flat to rolling terrain with some local steep slopes, surfaced by loamy, fine sand that supports hardwood and pine forests. Downstream, where the soil is interspersed with gravel and underlain by red clay, water-tolerant hardwoods, conifers, and native grasses grow. The low-lying flood plains at the mouth are surfaced by poorly drained loam over clay. County records for 1903 showed the Black Fork School District located on the creek five miles east of Tyler. It comprised two schools. One employed two teachers and enrolled eighty-two black students; the other had sixty-six white pupils and one teacher. In 1936 one school remained for seventy-seven black students and one teacher. By 1952 it had been consolidated into the Dixie Independent School District.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BLACK FORK CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbbem), accessed December 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.