BLISS CREEK. Bliss Creek, a perennial stream, rises three miles southwest of Buffalo in west central Leon County (at 31°23' N, 96°06' W) and flows northeast for twelve miles to its mouth on Buffalo Creek, six miles east of Buffalo (at 31°29' N, 95°58' W). It crosses sloping to nearly level terrain surfaced by sandy loam that supports post oak, black hickory, pecan, elm, water oak, and hackberry trees along its banks. Settlement in the vicinity began during the 1840s. The community of Buffalo, on the north bank of the stream, was founded as a station on the International and Great Northern line in 1872.
James Young Gates and H. B. Fox, A History of Leon County (Centerville, Texas: Leon County News, 1936; rpt. 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BLISS CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbbfc), accessed March 07, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.