BOGGY CREEK (HEMPHILL COUNTY)
BOGGY CREEK (Hemphill County). Boggy Creek rises at the junction of its two branches in northeastern Hemphill County (at 36°00' N, 100°11' W) and runs south for eight miles to its mouth on the Canadian River (at 33°53' N, 100°11' W). It is dammed near its mouth to form Kiowa and Marvin lakes. The ranch and roadhouse of the mysterious A. G. (Jim) Springer were on this creek in the mid-1870s. Later the Rhodes and Aldridge Company ranched in this area. The local terrain is marked by high relief and is surfaced with sandy soil in which grow sparse grasses and nongrassy herbs.
Pauline D. and R. L. Robertson, Cowman's Country: Fifty Frontier Ranches in the Texas Panhandle, 1876–1887 (Amarillo: Paramount, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BOGGY CREEK (HEMPHILL COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbbgq), accessed December 20, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.