BOREGAS CREEK. Boregas Creek rises 1½ miles northeast of Geneva in northern Sabine County (at 31°30' N, 93°55' W) and runs southeast for ten miles to its mouth on Palo Gaucho Bayou (at 31°23' N, 93°50' W), less than a half mile from that bayou's mouth on Toledo Bend Reservoir. The area around the streambed is gently sloping to moderately steep and lies mostly within Sabine National Forest. The name of the stream is most likely a misspelling of the Spanish borregas, meaning "lambs less than a year old." The creek forms the eastern boundary of the Juan Ignatio Pifermo land grant, which, confirmed in September of 1794, is the oldest land grant in the county. That grant was also the site of Antonio Gil Ibarvo's ranch, El Lobanillo, in the 1770s. The first white to settle on the banks of the creek was Jack Cedars, who came to the area sometime around 1790. When Stephen F. Austin made his first trip to the province of Texas in 1821, he spent his first night on Boregas Creek, which he referred to in his journal as "Boreg Creek."
Robert Cecil McDaniel, Sabine County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1987). Edna McDaniel White and Blanche Findley Toole, Sabine County Historical Sketches and Genealogical Records (Beaumont, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BOREGAS CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbbhl), accessed December 06, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.