BROWNS CREEK (CORYELL COUNTY)
BROWNS CREEK (Coryell County). Browns Creek rises in southern Coryell County (at 31°18' N, 97°48' W) and flows south for eight miles to its juncture with Cowhouse Creek, near Sugarloaf Mountain two miles from the southern county line (at 31°13' N, 97°44' W). The stream is entirely within the borders of Fort Hood. It descends from an area of low ridges to one of steep slopes surfaced by shallow clay that supports juniper, mesquite, live oak, and grasses. The stream was named for John M. Brown, a Coryell County pioneer who settled on its banks in 1855.
Frank E. Simmons, History of Coryell County (Gatesville, Texas: Coryell County News, 1936).