BRUSHY CREEK (WALLER COUNTY)
BRUSHY CREEK (Waller County). Brushy Creek rises two miles south of West Magnolia Forest in northeastern Waller County (at 30°12' N, 95°55' W) and runs southeast for ten miles, through mostly wooded country, to its mouth on Spring Creek in southwestern Montgomery County (at 30°05' N, 95°45' W). The surrounding gently sloping to nearly level terrain is surfaced by sandy loam that supports elm, hackberry, loblolly pine, and shortleaf pine trees on the banks. On February 13, 1687, the French explorer René Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, crossed the lower creek heading north toward the Trinity River on one of his many forays into the Texas interior in search of the Mississippi River. Settlement in the vicinity began in the early 1830s when Abraham Roberts patented a league of land near the confluence of Brushy and Spring creeks and established a settlement.
Robin Navarro Montgomery, The History of Montgomery County (Austin: Jenkins, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BRUSHY CREEK (WALLER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbbkj), accessed April 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.