BRUSHY CREEK (LEON COUNTY)
BRUSHY CREEK (Leon County). Brushy Creek, a spring-fed perennial stream, rises a mile west of Jewett in western Leon County (at 31°22' N, 96°10' W) and flows southwest for twenty-three miles to its mouth on the Navasota River, in southwestern Leon County (at 31°08' N, 96°17' W). It traverses gently sloping to nearly level terrain with sandy to loamy topsoil in which post oak, black hickory, pecan, elm, water oak, and hackberry trees grow along the banks. Settlement in the vicinity began in the nineteenth century. In 1871 the International Railway simultaneously laid out the towns of Jewett, on the east bank near the headwaters of the creek, and Marquez, on the west bank of the middle creek, as stations on its new line through western Leon County. Koch is located on the east bank of the upper creek, and Old Bowling lies on the west bank of the lower creek.
Frances Jane Leathers, Through the Years: A Historical Sketch of Leon County and the Town of Oakwood (Oakwood, Texas, 1946).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BRUSHY CREEK (LEON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbbkn), accessed January 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.