BRUSHY CREEK (WILLIAMSON COUNTY)
BRUSHY CREEK (Williamson County). Brushy Creek rises three miles northwest of Leander in southwestern Williamson County (at 30°35' N, 97°51' W) and flows east for sixty-nine miles, through southern Williamson County and southwestern Milam County, to its mouth on the San Gabriel River, five miles north of Rockdale (at 30°43' N, 97°03' W). The stream is intermittent in its upper reaches. It was named Arroyo de las Ánimas Benditas (Creek of the Blessed Souls) by explorers Louis Juchereau de St. Denis and Domingo Ramónqqv in 1716 and was known by variations of that name throughout the Spanish colonial period. It was the site of several of the earliest communities in the county. The battle of Brushy Creek occurred near its banks in 1839. The banks of the stream are heavily wooded for much of its length with mesquite and hardwood trees, and the creek flows through nearly level to gently rolling terrain surfaced by clayey and loamy soils used predominantly for agriculture.
Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BRUSHY CREEK (WILLIAMSON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbbky), accessed November 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.