BRUSHY CREEK (BURLESON COUNTY)
BRUSHY CREEK (Burleson County). Brushy Creek rises six miles southwest of Caldwell in southwestern Burleson County (at 30°26' N, 96°44' W) and runs east for seven miles to its mouth on Davidson Creek, in south central Burleson County (at 30°'27 N, 96°'39 W). It traverses gently sloping to nearly level terrain surfaced by loam that supports post oak, blackjack oak, elm, and hackberry trees along the banks. Settlement in the area began during the early 1830s. In 1872 James L. Dean established a general merchandise store near the headwaters of Brushy Creek on a branch of the Chisholm Trail. By the late 1870s Deanville had been founded in the vicinity.
Burleson County Historical Society, Astride the Old San Antonio Road: A History of Burleson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BRUSHY CREEK (BURLESON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbbpp), accessed December 21, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.