BOGGY CREEK (COLORADO COUNTY)
BOGGY CREEK (Colorado County). Boggy Creek rises near the right-of-way of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad in northern Colorado County (at 29°56' N, 96°32' W) and runs southwest seven miles to its mouth on Cummins Creek, just above Farm Road 1291 and four miles east of Fayetteville (at 29°54' N, 96°36' W). The stream was originally named Andrews Creek, in honor of John Andrews, who received a land grant nearby in July 1824. Much of the creek's course parallels the MKT tracks. The local terrain is nearly level to gently sloping and is surfaced with loamy silt or clay topsoils over a mottled clay subsoil. These soils are usually slow to absorb water, and low or level areas hold standing water after a rain. In 1887 the MKT completed its line from Denison to Boggy Tank on its way to Houston. Boggy Tank was a swampy area that gave the creek its current name. The railroad built a turntable there to reverse trains for the run back up the track. The town of Pisek was moved to its site on the creek and remained active until the 1940s. The lowlands along Boggy Creek are used primarily as unimproved pasture for cattle and are covered with dense stands of mixed oaks and cedar with an understory of yaupon, wild grape, and sumac. The improved uplands produce good pasture, some corn, and excellent hay.
Colorado County Sesquicentennial Commemorative Book (La Grange, Texas: Hengst Printing, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BOGGY CREEK (COLORADO COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbbrs), accessed August 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.