CAMP CREEK (LIPSCOMB COUNTY)
CAMP CREEK (Lipscomb County). Camp Creek, fed by Camp Springs, rises five miles east of Higgins in southeastern Lipscomb County (at 36°07' N, 100°04' W) and runs north for ten miles to its mouth on Wolf Creek, fifteen miles east of Lipscomb (at 36°15' N, 100°05' W). The stream was on Elga Page's ranch and probably was an Indian campsite. The eastern branch of the Jones and Plummer Trail crossed it, and the headquarters of the Box T Ranch was established on it in 1885. The terrain varies from flat to rolling, with some local escarpments, and is surfaced by deep, fine sandy loam that supports mesquite and grasses.
A History of Lipscomb County, Texas, 1876–1976 (Lipscomb, Texas: Lipscomb County Historical Survey Committee, 1976). Clinton Leon Paine, The History of Lipscomb County (M.A. thesis, West Texas State College, 1941).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CAMP CREEK (LIPSCOMB COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbc27), accessed April 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.