CARPER'S CREEK. Carper's Creek rises a half mile east of Big Head Mountain in northern Comal County (at 29°59' N, 98°19' W) and runs east for ten miles to its mouth on the Blanco River, five miles southwest of Wimberley in Hays County (at 29°58' N, 98°11' W). It crosses an area of the Balcones Escarpment characterized by steep slopes and limestone benches that give a stairstep appearance to the landscape. Soil in the area is generally dark, calcareous, stony clay and clay loam with rock outcroppings, and vegetation consists primarily of live oak and Ashe juniper woods. The creek was named for William M. Carper, who was granted ownership of some of the surrounding land in 1847.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CARPER'S CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbc89), accessed January 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.