CEDAR CREEK (GRIMES COUNTY)
CEDAR CREEK (Grimes County). Cedar Creek rises two miles northeast of Navasota in southwestern Grimes County (at 30°24' N, 96°03' W) and runs southwest six miles to its mouth on the Navasota River (at 30°24' N, 96°07' W). The surrounding gently sloping terrain is surfaced by clays that support narrow stands of post oak-blackjack oak and elm-hackberry timber on the banks of the creek's lower channel. On March 18, 1687, the French explorer René Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, was murdered by members of his own party near the confluence of Cedar Creek and the Navasota River as he searched for the Mississippi. Settlement in the vicinity of the stream began in 1826 when Georgia planter Daniel Arnold took up a one-league tract of land on the middle creek extending west to the Navasota River and called the area Cross Roads. In 1848 James Nolan erected tents and other temporary structures and began to cultivate cotton on a small tract on the banks of the creek where it was paralleled by the La Bahía Road. During the 1850s four different stage lines established stops in the settlement, which became known as Navasota, in the 1990s the largest town in Grimes County.
Grimes County Historical Commission, History of Grimes County, Land of Heritage and Progress (Dallas: Taylor, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CEDAR CREEK (GRIMES COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbcbj), accessed December 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.