CHAMBERS CREEK. Chambers Creek, also known as Pecan Creek, rises at the junction of its north and south forks, 2½ miles southwest of Boz in west central Ellis County (at 32°17' N, 96°58' W) and runs first southeast, then northeast, and then south for sixty-seven miles to its mouth on Richland Creek, two miles north of the Freestone county line in southern Navarro County (at 31°58' N, 96°12' W). It is named for Thomas Jefferson Chambersqv, who in 1834 received the first land grant issued by the Mexican government (see MEXICAN TEXAS) in what is now Ellis County. The local terrain is flat with some shallow depressions and is surfaced by clay and sandy loams that support water-tolerant hardwood trees, conifers, and various grasses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CHAMBERS CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbccv), accessed July 11, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.