CHILTIPIN CREEK (SAN PATRICIO COUNTY)
CHILTIPIN CREEK (San Patricio County). Chiltipin (Chilipin) Creek rises north of West Sinton in west central San Patricio County (at 28°04' N, 97°40' W) and runs east for forty-five miles to its mouth, on the Aransas River in western Aransas County (at 28°04' N, 97°16' W). In early days the creek flowed with fresh water and abounded in fish; however, by 1990 the freshwater seeps were gone, and saltwater discharges from oil wells had contributed to erosion and pollution problems. In 1870 Sidney G. Borden applied for a post office at Chiltipin Settlement, on the banks of the creek. The creek provided a natural boundary for the Coleman-Fulton Pasture Company after 1871. When the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway came through San Patricio County in 1886, Sinton was laid out on the south bank of the creek where the railroad crossed. In later times severe flooding from the creek necessitated extensive flood-control measures in the Sinton area. The name of the creek comes from chilipitín (early variant chiltapin, from Mexican Spanish chiltipiquín), which denotes the small, wild red peppers that grow abundantly in the area (called bird pepper elsewhere).
Dictionary of American Regional English. Keith Guthrie, History of San Patricio County (Austin: Nortex, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Keith Guthrie, "CHILTIPIN CREEK (SAN PATRICIO COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbcdl), accessed December 06, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.