CIBOLO CREEK (PRESIDIO COUNTY)
CIBOLO CREEK (Presidio County). Cibolo Creek rises four miles southwest of Farm Road 2810 in central Presidio County (at 30°04' N, 104°18' W) and runs south for forty-one miles to its mouth on the Rio Grande, just west of Presidio (at 29°34' N, 104°24' W). It cuts through the eastern Chinati Mountains and is intersected by a major tributary, Osa Creek, which drains the northeast side of the mountains. Cibolo Creek crosses rocks of great variety, ranging in age from Permian to Quaternary, surfaced by sands and clay loams that support sparse desert shrubs. The first settlement on Cibolo Creek came in 1832 when Col. José Ynacio Ronquillo received a 2,500-square-mile grant from the Mexican government (see RONQUILLO LAND GRANT). He settled his family at El Cibolo, three miles north of Presidio del Norte. In 1857 Milton Faver settled on the creek and ranched in the Chinati Mountains. John Spencer found valuable silver ore near Cibolo Creek in 1882, and the mining town of Shafter sprang up on the banks of the creek in the 1880s.
John Ernest Gregg, History of Presidio County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1933). Cecilia Thompson, History of Marfa and Presidio County, 1535–1946 (2 vols., Austin: Nortex, 1985).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CIBOLO CREEK (PRESIDIO COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbcef), accessed January 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.