COMANCHE CREEK (MASON COUNTY)
COMANCHE CREEK (Mason County). Comanche Creek rises a half mile southwest of Mason Mountain in north central Mason County (at 30°51' N, 99°15' W) and runs southeast for twenty miles, passing through Mason, to its mouth on the Llano River, southeast of Mason (at 30°39' N, 99°08' W). The creek rises in the limestone hills on the eastern edge of the Edwards Plateau and crosses rolling to steep terrain surfaced by shallow, stony and clayey soils, broken by an area of low-rolling to flat terrain surfaced by deeper loamy and clayey soils that support grasses and open stands of live oak, mesquite, and Ashe juniper. In the mid-1850s a stage line running from San Antonio to El Paso crossed the creek 120 miles from San Antonio. Comanche Indians reportedly often lay in ambush for the stagecoaches in the hills along the stream; hence the creek's name. Fort Mason was built in 1851 on one of the hills overlooking Comanche Creek, and a spring that runs down the hillside into the creek supplied the fort with water. In those days the creek had many deep pools and was a popular fishing spot. By 1928, however, it had become a generally dry watercourse with a sandy bottom.
J. E. Grinstead, "Mason County, Texas," Grinstead's Graphic, August 1923. J. Marvin Hunter, "Brief History of Mason County," Frontier Times, November, December 1928; January, February, March 1929.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."COMANCHE CREEK (MASON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbcgz), accessed August 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.