CURRY CREEK. Curry (Curry's, Currie's) Creek rises (at 30°02' N, 98°36' W) in three branches in east central Kendall County and runs southeast fifteen miles through mostly sloping limestone terrain of the Hill Country to its mouth on the Guadalupe River, in western Comal County (at 29°53' N, 98°28' W). It was named for an early settler on its banks. Area soils of generally stony clay and clay loam support oak, juniper, some mesquite, and grasses. The surrounding countryside is used primarily for ranchland. Settlers established homesteads on the creek beginning in the 1840s, and Judge William E. Jones established a sawmill there in 1850. Several years later John S. Hodges built a grist and saw mill on the creek. During this time a community called Curry's Creek Settlement developed. Edge Falls, named after settler George Edge, who established a homestead near the falls, is located on Curry Creek near Kendalia in Kendall County (at 29°55' N, 98°30' W). During rainy seasons water falls twenty-five feet off a rock ledge into a pool ninety feet long and 125 feet wide. Springs flow from cracks in the surrounding rock walls near the pool, and ferns and watercress grow along the banks. Edge Falls was a popular private park and appeared on area tourist maps from the 1930s through the 1960s. It was closed to the public in the 1970s.
Austin American, July 21, 1954. Kendall County Historical Commission, A History of Kendall County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1984). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin (Kendalia, Texas).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CURRY CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbcns), accessed March 07, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.