CYPRESS CREEK (WALLER COUNTY)
CYPRESS CREEK (Waller County). Cypress Creek rises at the point where Snake Creek and Mound Creek join (at 29°57' N, 95°54' W), nine miles southeast of Waller in eastern Waller County, and runs northeast through Waller and Harris counties for forty-nine miles to its mouth on Spring Creek, 3½ miles northwest of Humble (at 30°02' N, 95°19' W). The creek traverses terrain in which stretches of coastal prairie are interspersed with forested areas of pine and oak, with a number of other native Big Thicket trees growing near the streams. Stephen F. Austin made the first land grant on Cypress Creek, to John Callihan in 1835. The grant was part of Austin's fifth colony. In 1838 the Republic of Texas granted much of the land along Cypress Creek in headright certificates to individuals living in Texas at the time that independence was declared. Many of the grantees, however, never settled on their land. Most of the first settlers along the creek were German immigrants who began arriving in the 1840s and 1850s and eventually dominated the northwest part of the county.
The Heritage of North Harris County (n.p: North Harris County Branch, American Association of University Women, 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CYPRESS CREEK (WALLER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbcpa), accessed December 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.