COX CREEK (LIMESTONE COUNTY)
COX CREEK (Limestone County). Cox Creek rises just over two miles west of Oletha in the southern corner of Limestone County (at 31°24' N, 96°28' W) and runs south 6½ miles to its mouth on Steele Creek (at 31°19' N, 96°26' W). The area's light brown and dark grey sandy loams formerly supported a hardwood forest that was used for lumber production. Because the region is located along the Mexia-Talco fault zone, it is rich in natural gas production. It is possible the creek was named for George W. Cox, one of the first twelve pioneer settlers of Limestone County, who received a land grant of one-quarter league on January 21, 1835.
Ray A. Walter, A History of Limestone County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1959).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Kenneth E. Austin, "COX CREEK (LIMESTONE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbcqq), accessed March 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.