CARRINGTON CREEK. Carrington Creek rises five miles east of Caldwell in central Burleson County (at 30°31' N, 96°36' W) and runs east for ten miles through mostly open country to its mouth on the Old River, two miles northwest of Snook in eastern Burleson County (at 30°31' N, 96°29' W). The stream traverses gently sloping to nearly level terrain surfaced with loamy to clayey soils. Post oak, blackjack oak, elm, hackberry, water oak, and pecan woods border the creek along much of its length. Settlement in the vicinity began in the early 1830s. The Providence Baptist Church, for many years one of the Texas frontier's largest Baptist churches, was established near the headwaters of the creek in 1841. In 1866 the Old Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church was founded on the north bank of the lower creek. In the 1890s, with an influx of immigrants from Sicily into eastern Burleson County, the community of Tunis was founded on the north bank of the lower creek as a trade center for Italians laboring on plantations in the Brazos bottomlands. Carrington Creek is named for a prominent family of Burleson County settlers, the first of which, E. C. Carrington, served as county commissioner in 1862 and 1868.
Burleson County Historical Society, Astride the Old San Antonio Road: A History of Burleson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CARRINGTON CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbcra), accessed April 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.