CARSON CREEK. Carson (Kit Carson) Creek rises in northeastern Hutchinson County (at 35°57' N, 101°16' W) and runs southeast for eleven miles to its mouth on the Canadian River (at 35°50' N, 101°12' W). It crosses flat to rolling plains with sandy and clayey soils that support mesquite and various grasses. The stream was named for Col. Christopher Houston Carson, who mounted his bold but unsuccessful attack against marauding Comanches and Kiowas at the nearby Adobe Walls site in November 1864. Carson Creek is now part of the Turkey Track Ranch properties.
Pauline D. and R. L. Robertson, Cowman's Country: Fifty Frontier Ranches in the Texas Panhandle, 1876–1887 (Amarillo: Paramount, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CARSON CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbcsq), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.