DEEP CREEK (SCURRY COUNTY)
DEEP CREEK (Scurry County). Deep Creek begins near Farm Road 1269 four miles north of Fluvanna in northwest Scurry County (at 32°55' N, 101°10' W). The creekbed runs south-southeast for seventy miles to its mouth on the Colorado River, a mile south of the Mitchell county line in north central Mitchell County (at 32°31' N, 100°55' W). Elevation at its head is 2,820 feet above sea level, and the streambed gradually drops some 700 feet before joining the Colorado River. The creek passes through Snyder halfway along its course and becomes a flowing stream near the southern limits of the city. Indians, soldiers, and buffalo hunters commonly traveled the area after the Civil War. The stream was first known as Culver's Creek for United States army surgeon Ira Culver, who accompanied an expedition into the area in 1873. Buffalo hunter Josiah Wright Mooar later renamed it. Deep Creek offered good fishing for early settlers of Snyder, and residents later developed a park on its banks. The creek crosses primarily flat to rolling terrain with local escarpments. The area soils are deep, fine sandy loams that support brush and grasses.
Ranch Headquarters Association. Snyder Unit, Early Ranching and Water Sources in West Texas (Snyder, Texas, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."DEEP CREEK (SCURRY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbd26), accessed September 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.