DEEP CREEK (WISE COUNTY)
DEEP CREEK (Wise County). Deep Creek, named for its steep banks, rises five miles southeast of Decatur in southeastern Wise County (at 33°09' N, 97°31' W) and runs south for five miles to its mouth on the West Fork of the Trinity River, a mile east of Boyd (at 33°05' N, 97°32' W). It traverses undulating to hilly terrain with light to very dark loamy soils that have an accumulation of lime. Deep Creek was the site of the first house built in Wise County. Pioneer settler Sam Woody built a small house on the banks of the stream in 1854, and within a few years the Deep Creek community had developed in the area. By the mid-1980s a cemetery was the only reminder of the settlement.
Cliff D. Cates, Pioneer History of Wise County (Decatur, Texas: Old Settlers Association, 1907).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."DEEP CREEK (WISE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbd27), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.