DOCTORS CREEK. Doctors Creek rises 1½ miles northeast of Pecan Gap and just southwest of the junction of Farm roads 128 and 1530 in northwestern Delta County (at 33°27' N, 95°47' W) and runs southeast for fifteen miles to its mouth on the South Sulphur River, just east of Harper's Crossing and two miles east of Liberty Grove (at 33°20' N, 95°38' W). Cannon Creek flows into Doctors Creek just south of Cooper. Near its origin Doctors Creek passes through rolling prairies surfaced by black clay that supports mesquite and grasses; the stream descends quickly into floodplains surfaced by sand, mud, and gravel that support water-tolerant hardwoods, conifers, and grasses. The creek may have been named for medicinal herbs which Indians gathered from the area or for a local physician whose horse and buggy became mired in a shallow crossing. The Doctors Creek community was located on the stream.
Paul Garland Hervey, A History of Education in Delta County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1951). Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."DOCTORS CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbd59), accessed September 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.