Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

DUCK CREEK (SMITH COUNTY)

DUCK CREEK (Smith County). Duck Creek rises two miles north of Carroll in northwestern Smith County (at 32°30' N, 95°32' W) and runs northeast for thirteen miles to its mouth on the Old Sabine River Channel, just south of the Sabine River and north of Lindale Club Lake (at 32°36' N, 95°25' W). It traverses flat to rolling terrain with some local steep slopes, descending into low-lying floodplains near its mouth. The area soil is a red clay covered by gravel, interspersed with a brown loamy fine sand; near the creek's mouth the soils change to poorly drained loams. In its upper and middle reaches grow pine and hardwood forests, while water-tolerant hardwoods, conifers, and grasses grow near its mouth. Bell Branch flows into the creek from the south. In 1929 the Duck Creek soil erosion project was established in the area to study erosion and to formulate effective methods to control it. In 1934 the watershed became the site of a demonstration project for testing erosion-control procedures. Landowners in the 25,000-acre area worked with federal officials to implement a conservation plan for each farm. A Civilian Conservation Corps camp was transferred to nearby Lindale to provide a labor force for constructing dams and fences and planting trees and grass. The Duck Creek area thus became an important training ground for engineers, biologists, agronomists, foresters, and others. A Texas Historical Commission marker was erected on the site of the Depression-era research station in 1984. A 1981 map showed the Duck Creek church, named for the stream, located in the area just northeast of Garden Valley.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

"Lindale CCC Camp Work on the Duck Creek Project Area Farms," Chronicles of Smith County, Summer 1978.

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"DUCK CREEK (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbdav), accessed September 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.