DOWNIE DRAW. Downie Draw, also called Downie Creek, a valley with an intermittent stream, rises a mile west of the Pecos county line in the low hills of northeastern Brewster County (at 30°14' N, 102°51' W) and runs east for fifty-nine miles, crossing the southwestern corner of Pecos County and meandering along the Pecos-Terrell county line, before reaching its mouth on Meyers Canyon, just north of State Highway 349 in central Terrell County (at 30°10' N, 102°04' W). Downie Draw is met by Javelina Draw 1½ miles east of Silver Lake in southwestern Pecos County and in western Terrell County is met by three other tributaries. Pyle Draw enters Downie on the southwestern edge of Two Top Mountain, and Fortyone Draw and Baker Draw meet Downie on the southern edge of the Wildcat Mountains. Downie Draw sharply dissects massive limestone that underlies flat to gently sloping terrain, forming a rugged and winding valley. Wash deposits of sand, gravel, and mud cover the floor of the canyon. Soils in the area are generally dark, calcareous stony clays and clay loams that support scrub brush, oaks, junipers, grasses, and mesquites. The draw was named for Charles A. Downie, who drove his sheep from Austin through San Antonio to the Trans-Pecos region, where he established a ranch in 1881. He was the first rancher to settle in the isolated Downie Draw area and was there at least a year before the railroad laid tracks through the area. More than twenty years earlier, on July 3, 1860, Lt. William H. Echols, with twenty soldiers and officers of the First Infantry, camped near the draw during their camel expedition to map the terrain and its waterholes for the United States Army.
Terrell County Heritage Commission, Terrell County, Texas (San Angelo: Anchor, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."DOWNIE DRAW," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbdbn), accessed January 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.