DOANS SPRINGS. The group of small springs known as Doans Springs is twelve miles north of Vernon near the Doans community in northern Wilbarger County (at 34°21' N, 99°15' W). Although it is uncertain whether Francisco Vázquez de Coronado stopped at the site during his 1542 expedition, the springs have been frequented by travelers for hundreds of years. Doans Springs was a watering place for cattle along the Western Trail and was known as Baldwin Springs on regional maps of the 1870s. In earlier times the springwater flow formed a mile-long creek. By the late 1970s, however, the springs had been reduced to wet-weather seeps. The surrounding steep to moderately sloping hills are surfaced with shallow, stony, clay and sandy loams that support oak, mesquite, and grasses.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."DOANS SPRINGS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbddl), accessed March 08, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.