Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

DOAK BRANCH

DOAK BRANCH. Doak Branch rises a mile southeast of Charlotte in west central Atascosa County (at 28°50' N, 98°41' W) and runs south for seven miles to its mouth on Lagunillas Creek, six miles south of Charlotte (at 28°45' N, 98°42' W). In its upper reaches the creek crosses low-rolling to flat terrain surfaced by sandy and clay loams that support scrub brush, cacti, and grasses. Near the creek's mouth water-tolerant hardwoods and conifers grow in flat terrain with local shallow depressions. Some nearby land is irrigated for crops. Doak Branch was named for early settler Jonathon A. Doak, who moved to the area in 1856. The creek traversed his land.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Margaret G. Clover, The Place Names of Atascosa County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1952).

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"DOAK BRANCH," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbddz), accessed October 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.