ELLISON SPRING BRANCH
ELLISON SPRING BRANCH. Ellison Spring Branch rises two miles north of Gorman in southeastern Eastland County (at 32°14' N, 98°40' W) and runs east for six miles to its mouth on the Leon River, four miles northeast of Gorman (at 32°15' N, 98°36' W). In its upper reaches the stream traverses an area of steep-sloped terrain surfaced by shallow sandy soils that support juniper, grasses, and scattered oak. In its lower reaches it passes through steeply to moderately sloping hills, surfaced by shallow stony clay and sandy loams that support oak, mesquite, and grasses. It is probably named for J. M. Ellison, who had an early land grant in the area through which it flows. In 1864 the Ellison Springs Indian Fight took place near the headwaters of the creek.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."ELLISON SPRING BRANCH," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbe30), accessed April 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.