FARMERS BRANCH. Farmers Branch rises just south of Addison Airport in northwestern Dallas County (at 32°57' N, 96°50' W) and runs southwest for 6½ miles to its mouth on the Elm Fork of the Trinity River, in the town of Farmers Branch a quarter mile north of the Dallas city limits (at 32°54' N, 96°55' W). Rawhide Creek is the stream's major tributary. The land around Farmers Branch was first settled in 1841 by Thomas Keenan, who called the creek Mustang Branch. By 1845 a number of other families had settled in the area, which was so productive that the creek's name was changed to Farmers Branch. By the 1980s the creek lay wholly within the cities of Addison and Farmers Branch. Most of the area around the stream has been developed for commercial or residential use. The local terrain is flat to rolling, and near the stream's mouth grasses and mesquite grow in dark calcareous clay soils.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."FARMERS BRANCH," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbf13), accessed August 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.