FIFTEEN-MILE COLETO CREEK
FIFTEEN-MILE COLETO CREEK. Fifteen-Mile Coleto Creek, also known simply as Fifteenmile Creek, rises a mile northeast of Yorktown in west central DeWitt County (at 29°04' N, 97°34' W) and runs southeast for forty miles to its mouth on the Guadalupe River, six miles south of Victoria in central Victoria County (at 29°00' N, 97°31' W). It forms portions of the DeWitt-Goliad and Goliad-Victoria county lines, as it flows through flat to rolling terrain surfaced by clay and sandy loam that supports mixed hardwoods and pines. The stream was known as Coleto Creek as early as 1836, but in 1850, when Clinton became the county seat of DeWitt County, the head streams were named Three-Mile Coleto, Five-Mile Coleto, Twelve-Mile Coleto, Fifteen-Mile Coleto, and Eighteen-Mile Coleto. The names signified the distance from the streams to the courthouse door at Clinton. Below the junction of Twelve-Mile Coleto with Fifteen-Mile Coleto in northwestern Victoria County, the stream is known simply as Coleto Creek.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."FIFTEEN-MILE COLETO CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbf20), accessed May 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.