FIVEMILE CREEK (DEWITT COUNTY)
FIVEMILE CREEK (DeWitt County). Fivemile Creek, formerly known as Five-Mile Coleto Creek, rises three miles southeast of Blackwell Lake in central DeWitt County (at 29°02' N, 97°23' W) and runs southeast for seven miles to its mouth on Twelvemile Creek (formerly Twelve-Mile Coleto Creek), two miles east of Meyersville (at 28°56' N, 97°16' W). It traverses an area of low-rolling hills and prairies surfaced by moderately to highly expansive clay soil that supports prairie grasses and some mesquite. The creek was named in 1850, when the DeWitt county seat was located in Clinton. The five-mile designation signified the distance from the creek's headwaters to the courthouse door.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."FIVEMILE CREEK (DEWITT COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbf36), accessed February 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.