FAULKENBERRY CREEK. Faulkenberry Creek is formed by the confluence of Frost and Rocky creeks, two miles southeast of Groesbeck in southeast Limestone County (at 31°29' N, 96°31' W). It runs east for 6½ miles to its mouth on the old channel of the Navasota River (at 31°30' N, 96°27' W). The stream traverses rolling prairie surfaced by sand and mud that supports grasses and mesquite. Faulkenberry Creek is probably named for David Faulkenberry, who settled in the area in 1835 as part of Sterling C. Robertson's colony. David and Evan Faulkenberry reportedly helped repel the Indian attack on Fort Parker on May 19, 1836, but arrived too late to save Cynthia Ann Parker and four others from being taken captive.
Ray A. Walter, A History of Limestone County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1959).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Don Allon Hinton, "FAULKENBERRY CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbf95), accessed January 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.