GARY CREEK. Gary Creek rises halfway between Rogstad and Ilseng mountains and three miles east of Cranfills Gap in western Bosque County (at 31°46' N, 97°46' W) and runs southeast for eleven miles to its mouth on Neils Creek, southwest of Clifton (at 31°43' N, 97°37' W). The stream, which is intermittent in its upper reaches, is probably named for William Gary, an early settler who apparently chose a headright near the stream while he was a member of one of George B. Erath's Indian expeditions. Gary Creek had become a center of Bosque County settlement by 1854, when Norwegians migrating from East Texas established homesteads in the stream valley.
Bosquerama, 1854–1954: Centennial Celebration of Bosque County, Texas (Meridian, Texas: Bosque County Centennial Association, 1954). William C. Pool, Bosque Territory (Kyle, Texas: Chaparral, 1964).