GIBBONS CREEK (GRIMES COUNTY)
GIBBONS CREEK (Grimes County). Gibbons Creek, a perennial stream formerly known as Ben Fort Creek, rises three miles southwest of Bedias in north central Grimes County (at 30°44' N, 96°00' W) and flows southwest for twenty miles through mostly open country to its mouth on the Navasota River (at 30°31' N, 96°08' W). It traverses gently sloping to nearly level terrain surfaced by clay loams that support stands of post oak, blackjack oak, elm, hackberry, water oak, and pecan along its banks. The four-mile-long Gibbons Creek Reservoir was dammed on the middle creek two miles above Carlos in the early 1980s. Settlement in the vicinity began as early as 1822, when William Fitz Gibbons came to a league of land on the lower creek. By the early 1830s settlement had begun on the upper creek. The community of Carlos was founded about 1906 on the west bank of the stream's middle course. The stream was originally known as Ben Fort Creek, for Benjamin Fort Smith, an early settler who obtained a headright land grant on the upper creek in the late 1830s.
E. L. Blair, Early History of Grimes County (Austin, 1930). Grimes County Historical Commission, History of Grimes County, Land of Heritage and Progress (Dallas: Taylor, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."GIBBONS CREEK (GRIMES COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbg23), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.