GILBERT CREEK. Gilbert Creek rises seven miles southwest of Burkburnett in north central Wichita County (at 34°03' N, 98°42' W) and runs east for twenty miles to its mouth on the Red River, 3½ miles from the intersection of the Wichita and Clay county lines (at 34°05' N, 98°24' W). The stream was named for Mabel Gilbert, who settled near its mouth in 1856. It traverses flat to rolling terrain surfaced by shallow to moderately deep silt loams and sands that support a few scattered oak mottes, mesquite, and grasses. The area has been used as rangeland.
Louise Kelly, Wichita County Beginnings (Burnet, Texas: Eakin Press, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."GILBERT CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbg28), accessed September 02, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.