GRASSY CREEK (GRIMES COUNTY)
GRASSY CREEK (Grimes County). Grassy Creek, a perennial stream, rises four miles south of Anderson in southern Grimes County (at 30°26' N, 95°58' W) and flows southwest for sixteen miles to its mouth on the Brazos River, six miles south of Navasota (at 30°17' N, 96°05' W). It traverses gently sloping to nearly level terrain, surfaced by sandy and clay loams that support stands of post oak, blackjack oak, water oak, elm, and pecan along the creek's banks. Settlement in the vicinity began in 1827 when Jesse Grimes moved his family onto the grassland east of the creek, an area which became known as Grimes Prairie. About 1830 Tandy Walker took up a league of land on the western edge of Grimes Prairie on the banks of the middle creek, originally called Walker Creek. Settlement on the upper creek was underway by 1859 when the Harmony community, still extant in the early 1980s, was established in the blackjack oak woods on the west bank.
Grimes County Historical Commission, History of Grimes County, Land of Heritage and Progress (Dallas: Taylor, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."GRASSY CREEK (GRIMES COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbg75), accessed December 12, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.