HARMON CREEK. Harmon Creek, a spring-fed perennial stream, rises three miles east of Huntsville in east central Walker County (at 30°42' N, 95°27' W) and flows north for sixteen miles to its mouth on Lake Livingston, near the Trinity county line (at 30°52' N, 95°24' W). The stream's source lies within the Sam Houston National Forest. It traverses gently rolling to nearly level terrain surfaced by sandy and loamy soils. Along the creek's banks grow woods of loblolly and shortleaf pine, sweetgum, black gum, elm, pecan, water oak, post oak, willow oak, and black hickory. Settlement in the vicinity began in the mid-1830s. Huntsville's Mount Pleasant Baptist Church conducted services on the creek banks from 1838 to 1844. After the Civil War an experimental freedmen's community, known as Grant's Colony, operated for many years on a large tract of land on the upper creek. The Arizona community has been on the east bank of the middle creek since the early 1900s. A state fish hatchery is on the west bank of the upper creek.
D'Anne McAdams Crews, ed., Huntsville and Walker County, Texas: A Bicentennial History (Huntsville, Texas: Sam Houston State University, 1976). Walker County Genealogical Society and Walker County Historical Commission, Walker County (Dallas, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HARMON CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbh32), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.