HARVEYS CREEK. Harveys (Harvey) Creek rises in a stock tank about two miles northwest of Weimar in southern Fayette County (at 29°44' N, 96°48' W) and runs east for twelve miles, passing into Colorado County and through lands originally granted to Henry Austin in May 1831, before reaching its mouth on the Colorado River, opposite the rural community of Shaw's Bend (at 29°44' N, 96°40' W). It traverses rolling terrain surfaced with shallow, easily erodible soils that are good for agriculture. Before 1955 much cotton was produced in the area, along with corn and dairy products. Later a large part of this land reverted to pasture for beef cattle and to improved fields for hay production. Near its mouth the creek passes through the Osage community. Harveys Creek has two named tributaries: the Middle Fork of Harveys Creek (or Little Harveys Creek) and the South Fork. The Borden community is built along the South Fork, and it was there that pioneer entrepreneur Gail Borden, Jr., established a beef-processing plant before he began producing condensed milk. Water from the South Fork was used in the production of a meat-extract biscuit designed for use by explorers and overland travelers. Vegetation along Harveys Creek is a mixture of oak and cedar with a dense understory of yaupon and a large number of bois d'arc or Osage orange trees. The area provides excellent wildlife habitat for small game and white-tailed deer.
Mary Hinton, Weimar, Texas: First 100 Years, 1873–1973 (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HARVEYS CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbh39), accessed August 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.