HARVEY CREEK. Harvey Creek (Harvey Bayou) rises thirteen miles southwest of San Augustine in southwestern San Augustine County (at 31°22' N, 94°14' W). Before the development of the Sam Rayburn Reservoir, Harvey Creek ran southwest for 11½ miles to its mouth on the Angelina River, seven miles south of Broaddus (at 31°13' N, 94°18' W). Sam Rayburn Reservoir inundated the lower reaches of the creek. The banks of the stream are heavily wooded in places with pine and hardwood trees. Harvey Creek traverses nearly level to moderately steep terrain, surfaced by loamy and clayey soils used predominantly for agriculture and as forest land. The stream is probably named for B. W. Harvey, who on February 20, 1835, received a land grant that included the mouth of the stream.
George L. Crocket, Two Centuries in East Texas (Dallas: Southwest, 1932; facsimile reprod., 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HARVEY CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbh40), accessed October 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.