HELLERS BRANCH. Hellers Branch rises in a stock tank at the foot of the eastern slope of Hellers Hill in north central Fayette County (at 30°02' N, 96°47' W) and runs north for about three miles to its mouth on the flood control lake formed by Dam Number Ten on Shaw Creek (at 30°04' N, 96°46' W). The stream traverses flat to rolling terrain with soils characterized by upper layers of loose gravelly sand and subsoils of firm, gravelly, clay and sandy loam. Native vegetation includes mesquite, some pecan trees, and occasional patches of grasses. The creek is named for Tom and Louis Heller, who were among the first settlers in nearby Walhalla.
Leonie Rummel Weyand and Houston Wade, An Early History of Fayette County (La Grange, Texas: La Grange Journal, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HELLERS BRANCH," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbhcr), accessed July 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.