HILL CREEK (FAYETTE COUNTY)
HILL CREEK (Fayette County). Hill Creek rises in a stock tank in open pastureland a mile south of Plum in west central Fayette County (at 29°55' N, 96°58' W) and runs 4½ miles east-northeast to its mouth in a gravel extraction area on the Colorado River (at 29°56' N, 96°55' W). It traverses low to moderately rolling terrain with a fine sandy loam topsoil over a very firm clay subsoil. There was once productive soil near the stream's mouth, but most of it was removed during gravel extraction operations. The area near the creek's intersection with State Highway 71 was moderately industrialized and dotted with oil and gas wells in the mid-1980s. In the nonindustrialized areas native vegetation consists mainly of grasses, with occasional mesquite. Hill Creek is probably named for the family of Thomas M. Hill, an early resident in the area. He was a private in the Plum Grove Rifles, formed on July 8, 1861, as a training unit to supply soldiers to the Confederate Army.
Leonie Rummel Weyand and Houston Wade, An Early History of Fayette County (La Grange, Texas: La Grange Journal, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HILL CREEK (FAYETTE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbhcs), accessed October 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.