INDIAN CREEK (COMANCHE COUNTY)
INDIAN CREEK (Comanche County). Indian Creek rises a mile north of U.S. Highway 67/377 in west central Comanche County (at 31°54' N, 98°42' W) and runs east for twenty-five miles, passing through Comanche and the rural communities of Indian Creek and Board before reaching its mouth on the Leon River, four miles north of Gustine and a mile west of Baggett Creek Church (at 31°54' N, 98°25' W). The surrounding region was settled in the early 1850s. The Indian Creek community, consisting of a civilian fort built in 1851, was one of the first towns in the county. The creek travels through an area of mostly steep slopes, with shallow stony soils that support cacti and sparse grasses.
Comanche County Bicentennial Committee, Patchwork of Memories: Historical Sketches of Comanche County, Texas (Brownwood, Texas: Banner Printing, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."INDIAN CREEK (COMANCHE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbi09), accessed December 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.