JOHN RAY CREEK
JOHN RAY CREEK. John Ray Creek rises in north central Potter County (at 35°36' N, 101°55' W) and runs southwest for about twelve miles to its junction with the Canadian River (at 35°27' N, 101°59' W). It traverses an area of sand and clay and silt loams that surface rolling to steep slopes. The local vegetation is chiefly mesquite, cacti, and grasses. The stream was named for John Ray, an employee of W. H. Bates and David T. Beals, who in 1876 sent him to the Panhandle from Colorado to seek out suitable pastures for the LX Ranch. Ray afterward became a line rider for the LX and located his camp on his namesake creek, which served for a time as a boundary between the LX and LIT ranch ranges. An Indian village was once located near the creek. A butte on U.S. Highway 87 about seven miles north of the Canadian also bears Ray's name. In 1906 the creek became part of the Masterson ranching interests.
Pauline D. and R. L. Robertson, Cowman's Country: Fifty Frontier Ranches in the Texas Panhandle, 1876–1887 (Amarillo: Paramount, 1981). Pauline D. and R. L. Robertson, Panhandle Pilgrimage: Illustrated Tales Tracing History in the Texas Panhandle (Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains, 1976; 2d ed., Amarillo: Paramount, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."JOHN RAY CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbj28), accessed July 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.