Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

JOHNSON DRAW (CROCKETT COUNTY)

JOHNSON DRAW (Crockett County). Johnson Draw (also known as Johnson Creek, Johnson Drain, and Johnsons Run), a valley with an intermittent stream, rises a mile northeast of Midway Lane oilfield in northeastern Crockett County (at 30°56' N, 101°18' W) and runs southeast for seventy-three miles to its mouth on the Devils River, 1½ miles southwest of Juno in north central Val Verde County (at 30°08' N, 101°08' W). During its course the stream passes through Ozona, encounters two small dams, and meets nineteen tributaries. Johnson Draw sharply dissects massive limestone and traverses wash deposits of sand, gravel, and mud on flat terrain. Generally dark, calcareous stony clays and clay loams support oaks, junipers, grasses, mesquites, and water-tolerant hardwoods and conifers. In 1885 Joe Moss, a young surveyor, completed the first water well in Crockett County when he drilled on Johnson Draw, five miles south of the site of present Ozona. Since the area earlier appeared to have limited water resources, Moss's discovery well brought renewed interest in development of the unorganized Crockett County. The town of Ozona later drilled a well that supplied free water for its citizens and a full water trough for livestock. By the end of the nineteenth century most Ozona homes had private wells and windmills. Also in the 1880s William Frederick Schwalbe settled on Johnson Draw in Crockett County, where he established a cattle and sheep ranch. Johnson Draw is part of the drainage system of Crockett and Val Verde counties.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Crockett County Historical Society, History of Crockett County (San Angelo: Anchor, 1976).

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"JOHNSON DRAW (CROCKETT COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbj32), accessed July 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.