KENT BRANCH. Kent Branch rises four miles northwest of Ezzell in south central Lavaca County (at 29°19' N, 96°56' W) and runs southeast for four miles to its mouth on the Lavaca River, near the beginning of Tiger Bend (at 29°18' N, 96°54' W). Soil in the generally flat area is sandy on the uplands and clayey and loamy in the Lavaca River floodplain. These soils are used primarily as range, as pastureland, and for the occasional production of corn and grain sorghums. Local vegetation ranges from scattered oak mottes on the upland prairie to dense oak, sycamore, yaupon, and grape thickets along the river. The stream is named for the family of Andrew Kent, who arrived in Texas in 1830, received a grant of 4,605 acres as his headright, and died in the Alamo as one of the thirty-two volunteers who rode from Gonzales to its defense.
Paul C. Boethel, On the Headwaters of the Lavaca and the Navidad (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1967).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."KENT BRANCH," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbk43), accessed November 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.