LAHEY CREEK. Lahey Creek, also known as Larry Creek, rises in northern Potter County (at 35°37' N, 101°58' W) and runs south for twelve miles to its mouth on the Canadian River (at 35°28' N, 102°01' W). The stream, once part of the LIT Ranch pastures and later owned by the Bivins family, was named for Thomas Lahey, who settled in the area in 1879. The creek passes from a flat-to-rolling area with local escarpments, where hardwood forest, brush, and grasses grow in mostly deep, fine sandy loam soils, into an area of moderately steep slopes and locally high relief, where shallow to moderately deep silt loam soils support mesquite and grasses. Quail Feather Springs is located on Lahey Creek. There is evidence of stone ruins left by a Puebloan group on this creek. Also found there is a bluff of soft sandstone decorated with several petroglyphs.
Pauline D. and R. L. Robertson, Cowman's Country: Fifty Frontier Ranches in the Texas Panhandle, 1876–1887 (Amarillo: Paramount, 1981). Pauline D. and R. L. Robertson, Panhandle Pilgrimage: Illustrated Tales Tracing History in the Texas Panhandle (Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains, 1976; 2d ed., Amarillo: Paramount, 1978). Charles A. Siringo, Texas Cowboy, or Fifteen Years on the Hurricane Deck of a Spanish Pony (Chicago: Umbdenstock, 1885; rpt., Alexandria, Virginia: Time-Life, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LAHEY CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbl07), accessed April 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.