LAKE CREEK (GRIMES COUNTY)
LAKE CREEK (Grimes County). Lake Creek, a perennial stream, rises 1½ miles northwest of Shiro in eastern Grimes County (at 30°37' N, 95°55' W) and runs southeast for fifty miles through intermittent woodland to its mouth on the West Fork of the San Jacinto River, seven miles southeast of Lake Conroe in south central Montgomery County (at 30°16' N, 95°30' W). It passes through gently sloping to nearly level terrain, surfaced by clay and sandy loams that support water oak-elm, pecan-elm, and loblolly pine-shortleaf pine woods along the banks. The stream's name comes from the formation of a small natural lagoon on the middle creek. On February 17, 1687, the French explorer René Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, crossed the stream near the mouth of Garretts Creek traveling north toward the Trinity River. Anglo-American habitation in the area began in the 1830s. The town of Shiro was established on the upper creek in 1902, and a few miles downstream Richards was founded in 1907. The communities of Dacus and Dobbin, in what is now Montgomery County, stand on the banks of the stream's middle course.
Grimes County Historical Commission, History of Grimes County, Land of Heritage and Progress (Dallas: Taylor, 1982). Robin Navarro Montgomery, The History of Montgomery County (Austin: Jenkins, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LAKE CREEK (GRIMES COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbl13), accessed December 08, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.